I’m not going to lie, I was slightly disappointed with this recipe… ONLY because I wasn’t crazy about the frosting. I loved the cake and graham cracker crust, though!
As usual, my impatient self tried to rush the process of the Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe and I ended up with a soupy frosting disaster. At that point in the night, I was too irritated and too tired to try the recipe again (I was also making the Faux Host Cupcakes), so I opted to make a Marshmallow Buttercream. The Marshmallow Buttercream was still tasty, but I was just envisioning a cupcake with a toasted marshmallow frosting.
Oh, well… There’s always next time! And believe me, there will be a next time!
Graham Cracker Crust recipe by Homemade by Holman:
3/4 cup graham crackers
2 tablespoons sugar
2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In food processor, pulse graham crackers until they are fine crumbs.
- Add sugar and melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of crumbs to the bottom of each liner. Use a small circle object (I used a shot glass) to press the crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of each liner.
- Bake for 5 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Divide the chopped chocolate evenly among the cupcakes. Add approximately 4 marshmallows to each tin.
Chocolate Cupcake recipe slightly adapted from Ina Garten:
¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons good cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup buttermilk, shaken
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners in muffin tin for 20 cupcakes.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans (about ¼ cup batter per cupcake) and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
1 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in ½ cup confectioners’ sugar.
- Add the salt, vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth.
- Beat in the remaining ½ cup confectioners’ sugar and remaining heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition.
- Beat in the marshmallow creme; set aside or refrigerate.
- Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with a medium star tip and decorate as desired.