Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Candied Bacon
I have been obsessing over the blog, How Sweet It Is, ever since I stumbled upon it one fateful day in November of last year. The blog kind of speaks to my soul. In fact, it’s actually the blog that inspired me to create my own! The writer, Jessica, is real, creative, and hilarious. I await the day when she publishes her own cookbook because I’ll be all over that.
One of Jessica’s many quirks is her obsession with bacon. As a former vegetarian I have never been crazy about bacon, but the sheer thought of adding bacon to a baked good thrills me. The combination of salty-sweet is unbeatable.
Since bacon isn’t typically on my grocery store list, it took me a while to finally get the courage to try this salty-sweet duo. But after purchasing bacon for my BLT sandwiches on the Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits last week, the opportunity finally presented itself!
I went straight to my source of inspiration, How Sweet It Is, for this bacon fix and combined two of her delectable recipes, Cinnamon Sugared Bacon and Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips. I think the name says it all; puffy cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, and bacon. Can’t really go wrong there!
Cinnamon Sugared Bacon recipe by How Sweet It Is:
8 slices applewood smoked bacon
3 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- On a large plate, mix sugar and cinnamon. Dredge bacon slices through the mix, lightly patting the sugar on top. Lay strips on wire rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping the bacon once. Remove and drain on paper towels for 1 minute.
Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Candied Bacon inspired by How Sweet It Is:
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoons baking soda
8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
4 slices of Cinnamon Sugared Bacon (recipe above)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. Let cool completely.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips and candied bacon.
- Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!