Nutella Mousse Brownie Pie
What an amazing weekend!!! Northwestern University Field Hockey had two great wins against U.C. Berkeley (No. 11) and University of Virgina (No. 18), my teammate/roommate/best friend, Chelsea Armstrong, broke a 23-year record for career points, and is now tied for first on Northwestern’s all-time career goals list!!! It’s a great weekend to be a Wildcat!
On top of our successes in field hockey, I made a really good pie worth celebrating this weekend! Nutella Mousse Brownie Pie. Get excited.
I am going to go out on a limb here and say I love boxed mix brownies. There, I said it. It feels so good to get off my chest.
Boxed mix brownies are great because they’re quick, easy, and reliable. I am not ashamed to admit I typically use boxed mix brownies when a recipe calls for brownies and some extravagant topping. First of all, it’s easier to make and second, the brownies I make from scratch never seem to taste as delicious as my go to, Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix.
Last week my parents sent me a care package with an assortment of goodies, including a huge jar of Nutella. I was so excited to bake with it that I spent the entire night searching for recipes using Nutella. And that’s when I stumbled upon it… Nutella Mousse Brownie Pie. I was smitten. The fact that it called for a boxed brownie mix just added to its allure.
A flaky layer of pie crust, topped with a dense, fudgey brownie layer with Nutella swirled in, then a layer of smooth, creamy, and rich mousse, and finished with a generous drizzle of Nutella. It was a Nutella masterpiece. Now please excuse me while I go run it off for the next two hours.
Nutella Mousse Brownie Pie recipe by Sing For Your Supper:
1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
1 box brownie mix
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup Nutella, plus more for drizzling
½ pint heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make brownie batter as directed on the box and pour into a prepared pie crust. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Using a mixer, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixer bowl, mix Nutella and cream cheese until well combined. Spoon in 1/3 of the whipped cream and gently fold in. Repeat with remaining whipped cream- be careful not to stir- it won’t be as light and fluffy. Chill the mousse until the brownie layer is completely cooled.
- When the pie is cooled, spread the Nutella mousse evenly over the brownie layer. Drizzle with remaining Nutella (either microwave it on low heat for a few seconds or heat it on the stovetop over low heat to thin it out slightly.)
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.