Nutella-Stuffed Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt
Holy, motherload. My life has changed. Because of a cookie. This cookie.
It was gloomy, I was beyond lazy, and I had one thing on my mind… I wanted to bake something. I really shouldn’t restrict myself from baking… I just go crazy.
I had seen this recipe published on Tastespotting earlier in the week and I bookmarked it because I knew I couldn’t live another week without baking it. Not an exaggeration. In my humble opinion, bookmarking is a pretty big deal now that I have Pinterest to pin the thousands of recipes I’m “going to try.” If I bookmark something, there is no possible way I will forget about it… Not like you could pay me forget about cookies with browned butter, but you get the idea.
This recipe literally sang to me. Browned butter has never let me down, but for some reason I’ve never really tried sprinkling my cookies with sea salt. I have no idea why I’ve waited this long because the salty-sweet combination rocked my world. And then there was Nutella… I’m not one of those people who goes ga-ga over Nutella, but when it’s stuffed inside of a cookie I kind of lose my cool.
Ughh, they were so good that while writing this short post I ran into the kitchen and baked the remaining cookie dough. And as soon as I am finished writing this post/devouring cookies I plan on baking a second batch… Why yes, I do have self-control.
Nutella-Stuffed Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt recipe by Ambitious Kitchen:
2¼ cup all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
1¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup milk chocolate chips
1 jar of Nutella, chilled in refrigerator
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt until combined. In a saucepan over medium heat, brown butter and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until incorporated. Gradually add the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Place cookie dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours to let the flavors meld together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll 1½ tablespoons of dough and flatten the dough to make a flat circle. Place 1 teaspoon of chilled Nutella in the middle then place another flat circle of cookie dough on top. Crimp edges to seal.
- Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and bake 9-11 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and let cool on wire racks.