Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
It seems like only yesterday that I was throwing every pumpkin-flavored treat your way in the form of pop-tarts, breakfast sandwiches, scones, candy cups, cupcakes, chili, cookies, lattes, and cheesecake… (The length of that list surprised me too.)
Man, this past year went by fast and thank goodness because I am ready to welcome pumpkin back into my life! Although a lot has changed since last October, my overwhelming appreciation and adoration of pumpkin, layered clothing, boots, and holidays will always remain the same… Except for Halloween, not a fan of that one.
To kick off the pumpkin season I decided to make Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts… The reasoning behind it was relatively simple; I had all the ingredients on hand, I’ve only used my doughnut pan once, and my “yearly doughnut fix” is quickly turning into a “monthly doughnut fix.”
Although I really wish I would have considered the damage I could do to a dozen doughnuts within two days (by myself), I stand firmly behind my decision to bake these doughnuts. They are moist, dense, and flavorful rounds of Fall! Dig in.
Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts recipe from Sweetened with Honey:
1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup canned pumpkin
½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a donut pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices together, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, or a the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixture and stir until just combined, do not over mix batter.
- Using a pastry bag, fill each donut cup with the batter. They should be fairly full but not overflowing. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until donuts spring back when gently pressed. Turn donuts onto a wire each and allow to cool for a few minutes.
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
½ – 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- While the donuts are cooling, melt the butter in one bowl, and combine the sugar and cinnamon in anther. While donuts are still warm, brush each donut with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve immediately.