Skip to content

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts

September 24, 2012

It seems like only yesterday that I was throwing every pumpkin-flavored treat your way in the form of pop-tarts, breakfast sandwichesscones, candy cups, cupcakes, chili, cookies, lattes, and cheesecake(The length of that list surprised me too.)

Man, this past year went by fast and thank goodness because I am ready to welcome pumpkin back into my life! Although a lot has changed since last October, my overwhelming appreciation and adoration of pumpkin, layered clothing, boots, and holidays will always remain the same… Except for Halloween, not a fan of that one.

To kick off the pumpkin season I decided to make Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts… The reasoning behind it was relatively simple; I had all the ingredients on hand, I’ve only used my doughnut pan once, and my “yearly doughnut fix” is quickly turning into a “monthly doughnut fix.”

Although I really wish I would have considered the damage I could do to a dozen doughnuts within two days (by myself), I stand firmly behind my decision to bake these doughnuts. They are moist, dense, and flavorful rounds of Fall! Dig in.

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts recipe from Sweetened with Honey:

Doughnuts:

1 ¾ cup all purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon nutmeg

1/3 cup vegetable oil

½ cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

¾ cup canned pumpkin

½ cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a donut pan and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and spices together, and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, or a the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixture and stir until just combined, do not over mix batter.
  4. Using a pastry bag, fill each donut cup with the batter. They should be fairly full but not overflowing. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until donuts spring back when gently pressed. Turn donuts onto a wire each and allow to cool for a few minutes.

Cinnamon-Sugar Coating:

¼ cup unsalted butter, melted

1/3 cup sugar

½ – 1 tablespoon cinnamon

1. While the donuts are cooling, melt the butter in one bowl, and combine the sugar and cinnamon in anther. While donuts are still warm, brush each donut with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve immediately.

About these ads
12 Comments leave one →
  1. Robin permalink
    September 24, 2012 9:02 am

I will be buying a doughnut pan…these look delicious!

• September 24, 2012 11:03 am

It’s so easy too! Equivalent to baking cupcakes!

• Kara Silge permalink
      October 3, 2012 3:07 pm

What if you don’t have a doughnut pan? Can you make them in little tarts pans (making them like dougnut bites).

• October 9, 2012 12:14 pm

The baking times might vary slightly but if you keep an eye on it, I’m sure they will be just as delicious!

2. October 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Your pictures are looking soooo good!!! Love it! Gotta make these asap!

3. Arianne permalink
    October 28, 2012 8:31 am

I made these last night for a Halloween party and they were a huge hit! I made them in a mini donut pan (adjusting the baking time to 10 minutes) and then glazed them bright orange. It was the perfect bite sized snack for a party.

• November 7, 2012 6:48 pm

I like the festivity! Did you just do a basic powdered sugar/cream glaze or something different?

4. Gabrielle permalink
    September 9, 2013 7:41 pm

i just bought a doughnut pan i MUST make these :)

5. Tracy_the_pumpkin_hoarder permalink
    September 19, 2013 7:48 pm

I couldn’t find a doughnut pan. I did, however, buy a mini bundt cake pan. Worked just fine. Love these doughnuts. Not too sweet.

6. Rosy permalink
    October 6, 2013 6:53 pm

I made this recipe into donut holes in my daughters cake pop maker. The donut was too dry it taste better dunked in coffee or milk. Will try again in donut pan! Hopefully the donut is more moist. overall a huge hit with my little ones.

7. Mary Strauss permalink
    October 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Where can I get a doughnut pan? I looked in several stores and can’t find one.

Trackbacks