Skip to content

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

January 23, 2013

I am a big fan of anything that justifies eating five cookies at 7 in the morning before working out… Which is why “paleo” and “cookies” are really a match made in CrossFit Heaven.

IMG_5398

I tend to be THAT girl who brings in baked goods to a work-out class and tortures everyone with the overwhelming aroma of freshly baked cookies. But everyone was singing a different tune when I brought these babies in! Gluten-free, refined-sugar, paleo, or not… These cookies are sure to make any chocolate chip cookie lover obsessed.

IMG_5418

One of my trainers, Clark is a big fire-fighter with an aptitude for baking and he actually CREATED this recipe. When he first gave me a cookie I was in such disbelief that these weren’t made of gluten nor refined sugars because they were so delicious, soft, puffy, and buttery.

IMG_5427

But there is no butter! Or flour! Or refined sugars! And I could eat 12 of them and simply wave it off as I am eating a handful of almonds! Kind of.

IMG_5429

I immediately requested that Clark send me the recipe so I could recreate these goodies. For this post I just copied and pasted his recipe verbatim because you can just see his excitement growing as he goes through the recipe… I think it goes without any additional commentary that you should just try them and make yourself and others happy.

IMG_5436

I promise my next dessert will include gluten and refined sugars… But if I didn’t mention they were paleo in the title would you have been able to guess it?

Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe by Clark, The Trainer:

3 ¼ cup almond meal

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 eggs, room temperature

1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract (or regular if you don’t give a damn)

½ cup honey (maple syrup or agave nectar works too)

½ cup coconut oil, melted

1 ½ cups cacao nibs (pure chocolate chips and vegan chocolate chips work too)

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, Grab a cookie sheet and some parchment paper or aluminum foil.  I’ve found it easier to use something like that rather than baking directly on the cookie sheet (plus I can get the next sheet in the oven quicker and I want my cookies NOW!)
  2. Combine 3 and 1/4 cups of almond flour (Trader Joes almond meal is by far the best, and it’s cheaper than Red Mill or whatever) with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda.
  3. In a large bowl, combine 2 eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 cup of either honey, pure maple syrup, or agave nectar (I like honey).
  4. Combine wet and dry ingredients then add 1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips.  The darker the chips the more paleo friendly they are, but the dairy free ones from Trader Joes taste pretty good.  Haha! (The dough will look pretty wet, I placed my dough in the fridge to firm up a bit before rolling them into balls, but you can just pop them into the oven as is)
  5. Spoon them onto your parchment and pop them in the oven.  This recipe makes about 24 cookies, and i usually do 2 rounds of 12.  Bake ‘em for about 8-10 minutes (the tops will start to get golden brown).  If they go longer than that the bottoms burn because of the sugar in the honey.  No good at all.
  6. When I pull them out I let them cool long enough to get them off the parchment and put them in something sealed to go into the fridge.  I like them better out of the fridge because there’s no flour and they tend to be a little sticky at room temp.
  7. Now it gets a little crazy…  Done like this, sometimes they can seem a little under cooked.  Just the nature of the recipe.  I’ve experimented a little with adding 2 tablespoons of coconut flour and it really changes the texture.  Makes them more “cakey” if you will.

Wow…  I just re-read this email and I’m a little frightened by my intricate knowledge of baking these cookies.  Now that I’ve completely nerded out on you, I’m going to get back to doing something a grown man should do.  LoL!!

About these ads
101 Comments leave one →
  1. Clark, "The Trainer" permalink
    January 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Hahaha!! Thanks a TON for posting this up. They’re really good and not terrible if you’re trying to stay clean. I’ve done them with local honey, raw honey, pure maple syrup, a low calorie version (not very good) and with no choc chips. I can’t take full credit though for this… It was handed down to me and I’ve adjusted it to what you see here. Enjoy!

2. Emily permalink
    February 1, 2013 7:17 pm

I bought coconut BUTTER instead of oil! Eeek:( can I substitute???

3. February 3, 2013 2:53 pm

I made these in cookie bar form for the Super Bowl. Pretty tasty!

4. February 11, 2013 4:42 pm

This looks amazing. I would love to try it out.

5. Lisa permalink
    February 11, 2013 4:44 pm

This looks amazing. I’d like to try it.

6. February 15, 2013 8:39 pm

What a great recipe! Going to link to you if that’s ok. :)

7. Cathy permalink
    February 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Excellent recipe! Not that sweet, and that’s a good thing, sweets fuel my cravings. I used 82% unsweetened chocolate, it was a tad bitter. Also, I did not have almond flour so I used ground almonds, which worked out just fine. Thanks for the recipe:-)

8. February 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Good recipe! Just made these. Mine didn’t quite look like your pictures, but I’m guessing those are the ones you made with coconut flour. I’ll be trying that next time, and using more paleo-friendly chocolate. I just had milk chocolate chips on hand, but they are still delicious and probably much healthier than a regular cc cookies anyway. :) My sweet tooth is satisfied and my body isn’t too upset about it!

9. ariel permalink
    February 27, 2013 10:03 am

super yummy but totally flattened! added coconut flour, but still thin and flat. ;-( i mixed in semi sweet chips with nibs and even my 7 year old loved them though.

10. Morgan permalink
    March 1, 2013 8:11 am

I made these with pure maple syrup (Grade B) because I didn’t have raw honey on hand. They didn’t look smooth like the picture despite using the 2T of coconut flour. BUT regardless, they looked very good AND tasted wonderful! I’m trying to convince family and friends that the Paleo lifestyle is not difficult and that you don’t have to give up everything you love. I think these cookies are the ticket! As far as the chocolate, I used 60% cacao dark chocolate chips and it was a beautiful thing :)

11. March 1, 2013 9:28 pm

Made them with Agave and they are wonderful!

12. Barb permalink
    March 5, 2013 6:23 pm

I’m alergic to almonds, is there something else I could use in place of the almond meal?

13. March 5, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes! This is exactly what I have been looking for and they look so delicious! Thank you Thank you! Oh and I really like your blog!

14. March 7, 2013 2:43 pm

Just like they used to bake in the cave then eh? Gonna have some Paleolithic cave brewed coffee with that too?

15. Kisha permalink
    March 9, 2013 5:42 pm

Absolutely delicious! So easy to make and they turned out perfectly. I would even be satisfied with less chocolate so I may minimize the chocolate chips next time. Definitely a keeper!

16. March 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Tried these cookies today, and they are BOSS!!! I did, however, make some tweaks to the recipe, and pinned it on Pinterest. I did link the “original” back to this page, to give credit where it’s due :0) If you’re interested in my tweaks to this, the pin address is http://pinterest.com/pin/41447259043049689/

Kinda blows that I had to shorten it because it only lets you post 500 characters or less, but I did the best I could! ;0)

17. Kristen permalink
    March 13, 2013 12:52 pm

This paleo version of chocolate chips is more delicious than the recipes with all the processed ingredients! However, I threw in a little extra brown sugar to make the cookies sweeter, but this is what I am going to make from now on, paleo or no paleo living!

18. Cheryse permalink
    March 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I have made these twice with and without the coconut flour. I prefer the coconut flour addition. I also discovered that by whipping the eggs by themselves before adding the other ingredients, the cookies were more of a cookie consistency and even less gooey than without whipping the eggs (and even with the coconut flour). This is my new favorite paleo cookie recipe; thanks for sharing!!!

19. March 19, 2013 11:25 pm

I just made these, and dang are they good! I made some giant cookies, and I have already eaten two of them! They have only been out of the oven for 45 seconds!

20. March 19, 2013 11:26 pm

21. March 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Omg these are amazing!!!!! Best paleo chocolate chip cookies ever!

22. March 20, 2013 12:00 am

Omg these are the best Paleo chocolate chip cookies ever!!! Just made a batch and ate two before they even cooled. So good!!!

23. Debbie permalink
    March 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Love these! Gotta keep the chocolate calories in mind, though. Will decrease next time

24. Abby permalink
    March 24, 2013 9:57 am

These turned out incredible! I used the extra 2 tbs. of coconut flour and it was, by far the best paleo choc chip cookie around. Thanks!

25. Stephanie Smith permalink
    March 26, 2013 12:55 pm

These cookies are amazing! My kids and husband love them as much as I do! Thank you SO much!!! I used agave in them, and it was perfect! By far my favorite cookies! Oh, and when my husband tried one, his exact words were, “These taste like cookies!” LOL! My kids took them to school today for their snack, can’t get better than that!

26. Melissa permalink
    March 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I love these cookies and so do my 3 kids. They actually asked if I could make them again! Thanks for sharing:)

27. Denise Luther permalink
    March 27, 2013 3:24 pm

DELISH. I made with chestnut flour instead of almond and used agave. Seriously delicious.

28. April 1, 2013 9:20 pm

These look delicious! Do you happen to know the calories, protein, carbs, etc?

• Liz permalink
      April 3, 2013 3:04 pm

I use spark people.com to enter the ingredients and servings and it calculates the nutrition content for you.

29. Liz permalink
    April 3, 2013 3:02 pm

These are so good! I’ve made them 4x already since I found this post on Pinterest three weeks ago! My 2 1/2 year old, mother in law and I love them!!! Thank you!
    P.S. I bake them for 13 minutes and they come out perfect! Fluffy and all! Anything less and they come out flat and gooey.

30. Nichole permalink
    April 6, 2013 6:21 pm

I am new to Paleo and have been looking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. These were easy to make and quite tastey :)

31. Katie Van Harten permalink
    April 12, 2013 2:20 am

These cookies are great, they are just what I needed in the NO Grain world. I added the 2 Table spoons of the Coconut flour and used Organic Agave, and dark chocolate chips. My family, friends and I loved them. They were gone too quick. I will be making more very soon. I found that rolling them into balls and smashing them flat, (kind of like you would making a peanut butter cookie) work better for cooking in my oven. They looked nicer and cooked better. I tried the drop method and they did not cook evenly, although they looked rustic.

32. April 22, 2013 5:09 pm

I made these and this recipe is a keeper, they turned out great, kept in the fridge the make a nice soft gooey cookie! Thank you :)

33. Lynn permalink
    April 23, 2013 5:39 pm

My daughter makes these for my husband and I. So unbelievably good! She uses a flaxseed/water mixture instead of eggs and they come out more fluffy than with eggs. Definitely keep them in the fridge and DO NOT OVERBAKE. Burnt honey tastes awful.
    Thanks for a great recipe!

34. April 26, 2013 12:31 pm

I am making them with carob chips right now. Can’t wait to try them!

35. Simone permalink
    April 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Love it. Already make it twice. The first time I forgot the baking soda and the cookies where not so doughy. I will leave it out next time.

36. Danielle permalink
    April 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I just made these butter I added 1 tsp of double acting baking powder and replaced the coconut oil with melted butter and used real chocolate chips. I know, not as clean as the original recipe but its what I had on hand and my main goal was to replace flour with almond meal for chocolate chip cookies. They look great and taste wonderful. Thank you!

37. May 13, 2013 6:50 pm

This recipe was great! We forgot the eggs and they still tasted awesome. Had a good consistency too. One of the other side effects was that the batter looked more like cookie dough. Thanks!

38. Louise permalink
    June 3, 2013 9:36 pm

I have just made them and they are gorgeous. Do you know if they freeze ok? I dont want to eat them all one go!!!!

• June 3, 2013 9:57 pm

I actually just tried freezing the dough for the first time this weekend so I am not entirely sure, but I will let you know once I de-thaw the dough and bake them!

39. Jenn permalink
    June 9, 2013 2:28 pm

Empoweredsustenance.com gave me the idea to add 2 tbsp great lakes beef gelatin to the dry mix to make them chewier. Turned out awesome!!!

40. June 19, 2013 10:26 pm

second time making them.
    so frickin’ dang good!!!
    It’s like Almond Joy and Chocolate Chip Cookie hooked up and little baby cookies…little baby cookies that I could/may have gorged on!
    (I also linked you on my blog, but no worries, I’m not that popular, just my mama and friends ;-)

41. Jenni permalink
    June 23, 2013 8:53 pm

If you stack 2 sheets on top of each other it creates an insulated type cookie sheet protecting the bottoms from burning and allowing the cookies to bake more completely. Also used melted ghee instead of coconut oil and it tastes awesome!! Yummy yummy. I would much rather my son eat these rather than a sleeve of crackers :D

42. Lauren Goulette permalink
    July 5, 2013 7:40 pm

These are the best cookies! I make them ALL the time, my hubby is obsessed! We love them cold! Thank you so much. This helps eating paleo so much easier :)

43. July 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Hello! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great job!

44. AmyinATL permalink
    July 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Holy Cow…I’ve been eating clean for 6 years now and I’ve never made a gluten free cookie that tasted good. This recipe is AWESOME!! I added only 3/4 cup cacao chips and they came out great and chewy. Gonna try carob next time.

45. karen permalink
    July 22, 2013 4:53 pm

These are by far the best choco-chip paleo recipe I’ve tried!! If you want a less”gooey” dough try reducing the almond meal to 3 c. and adding 3/4c. ground flax seeds (makes a nice nutty flour). I also added 1/2 sliced almonds…they come out perfect every time!!

46. mama2five permalink
    August 9, 2013 10:51 pm

So good. So easy. Thank you!

47. Virginia permalink
    August 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Used maple syrup (grade b) and these were AMAZING! Moist and chewy, best paleo cookie I’ve had yet! And you are right, it’s a challenge to limit yourself! Thanks for sharing!

48. September 11, 2013 5:40 pm

I’m just taking these out of the oven and the first batch is amazing. Gonna have a happy hubby. Thanks for the recipe :)

49. September 18, 2013 6:22 pm

I don’t quite have enough coconut oil can I use almond oil w coconut oil or almond oil by itself?

50. September 30, 2013 12:26 pm

I’m baking these wonderful cookies right now and decided to do a double batch and added pears to one batch (no chips) will see how they turn out. Oh and the other batch is Chocolate Chip of course :)

51. Catie permalink
    October 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I’m sure these are delicious, because they have about 3 times the calories as a regular chocolate chip cookie. But hey, as long as the sources of sugar and fat are trendy, right?

52. darin permalink
    October 24, 2013 5:23 am

Looks delish

53. Monica permalink
    November 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello I made these cookies and thought they tasted very coconuty. I measured the coconut oil before melting, though, so that may have been the reason why. Does anybody know why it’s recommended to melt the oil before using in this recipe? Also, are most of you using chocolate chips or the cacao nibs? I used 42% choc chips and thought it was little too sweet.

54. November 29, 2013 3:51 pm

I’m making these right now with my sister! They look GREAT. :)

55. Diana permalink
    December 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Wow! These cookies are phenomenal! I’m allergic to practically everything in this universe so when I found these I was very happy! I was kinda skeptical at first but I decided to give them a try. They are chewy just the way I like my cookies and I like the coconut taste they have to them. Thank you so much for posting this!

56. bathephotography permalink
    January 8, 2014 4:55 pm

Great cookie. Thanks for the recipe. I am gluten intolerant and have just recently found paleo food. Even my husband loves them lol

57. Stacey permalink
    February 28, 2014 2:01 am

Thank you SO much for this recipe! I have ulcerative colitis, and I can’t tell you how much paleo/ GF with a workout regimen is helping alleviate my symptoms! But sometimes…a girl just needs CHOCOLATE. These hit the spot, and it’s so hard to find recipes this good…WIN! :)

58. Rhonda permalink
    March 9, 2014 11:37 am

First time baking paleo…these are WONDERFUL! I used maple syrup instead of honey. Just a personal preference. So good!

59. March 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Made these and am seriously in LOVE. These were absolutely delicious. I used only 3 cups of almond flour instead of the additional 1/4 cup bc I forgot…oops. I also used only 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life and that was WAY more than enough. I can’t imagine using 1.5 cups?! I didn’t use the coconut flour and had to bake them for about 20 mins. One try slightly burned on the bottom b/c I was an idiot and was only looking at the other tray. Oops. But everyone has been raving about these! thank you!

60. March 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I honestly don’t remember if I left a comment about these before but OMG the best paleo choc chip cookies I’ve had so far. Even all my non paleo friends loved these. I didn’t use the coconut flour but I liked the texture as is. Also had to leave these in twice as long but kept an eye on the bottoms so they didn’t burn. Thank you!

61. Karina permalink
    May 17, 2014 11:14 am

Hi I made these cookies today and they didn’t work for me! I haveno idea why! I followed the recipe exactly and used the exact ingredients. I baked them for 10 minutes and took them out of the oven and they were goo on the inside so I had to cook them for another half an hour with foil over the top so they wouldn’t burn but would still cook on the inside. How did everyone else’s cookies cook in only 10 minutes? Even after my cookies were finally cooked and cooled down they are still very soft, similar to a cake? Even soft to touch? Please give me any advice you can as they taste good so id like to make them again but properly?

62. May 17, 2014 12:32 pm

These cookies were pretty good. I added some PB 2 powder and some of my plant fusion protein powder ( tasteless) and they came out great!

63. July 2, 2014 10:58 pm

Made these this evening and the family gobbled them up! I did add some unsweetened shredded coconut and dried cranberries. This is my new go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Many thanks for sharing.

64. Denise permalink
    July 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Love love love these cookies.. I’m tracking all my nutrition on MFP. Any idea how many calories/carbs these tasty little nuggets are roughly packing?

65. July 22, 2014 8:31 pm

They’re in the oven now! The dough tasted amazing!!

• August 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I just had to comment again. I’m making my second batch. These cookies are amazing! Thanks so much for this recipe!!!

66. lisamummymadeit permalink
    August 3, 2014 2:34 am

Yum! Live a guilt-less cookie. Great post workout snack; so much protein and much tastier than a shake!

67. shayla permalink
    August 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Yummy!! This is my favorite go to paleo recipe. I have to admit… Most of the time they don’t make it in the oven!! I actually prefer these to regular chocolate chip cookies now. I love the nutty taste and the hint of coconut.

Trackbacks

1. Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies | Sharon's Blog
  2. paleo recipes | Krellpw's Blog
  3. A place for everything. | Mondays With Mimi
  4. Bam Pow Paleo Fitness: Mother’s Day Edition |
  5. Amazing Easy Chewy Chocolatey Choc Chip Biscuits | Carmen Eat Joy
  6. I’m not much of a cook, but I love to bake.
  7. [Just Like Real] Chocolate Chip Paleo Cookies | What Runs Lori